Spending time with your loved one in the Great Smoky Mountains is sweet – at Valentine’s Day, or any time of the year! Whether you choose to celebrate in cozy accommodations (think hot tub with a mountain view), or choose to take a romantic hike for two in the beautiful forests of North Carolina, you’re sure to have a lovely date with your sweetheart!
Fall in Love with the Smoky Mountains
There’s nothing more romantic than spending time together in the great outdoors! Plus, you don’t need reservations to enjoy the hundreds of hiking trails and waterfalls found throughout the North Carolina Smokies.
- Observe unobstructed panoramic views from sunrise to sunset – perhaps the perfect spot for a proposal!
- Hike to some of our most famous waterfalls, but take care not to climb up on the wet/frozen rocks!
- Indian Creek Falls is an easy one-mile hike from Deep Creek Campground in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park that brings you to a gorgeous 60-foot waterfall.
- Mingo Falls is a 200-foot scenic waterfall; only a five-minute walk from the Mingo Falls Campground on the Cherokee Indian Reservation.
- Whitewater Falls is a 411-foot wonder, the highest waterfall in the Eastern US!
- Need more ideas? Take a look at some of the best hiking trails in the Great Smoky Mountains here.
For the snowbirds out there that love excitement and adventure, take to the slopes!
- Scaly Mountain Outdoor Center offers 2-3 ski slopes, plus ice-skating, tubing, and dry tubing.
- Cataloochee Ski Area in Maggie Valley offers 18 slopes for a variety of levels. With elevations of 5,400, Cataloochee has some of the best views from the top!
Where to Take Your Date in the Smokies
Head to local galleries and museums to discover incredible artwork by regional artists!
- Goldhagen Art Glass Studio in Hayesville offers you the chance to view glassblowing in action!
- The Stecoah Artisans Gallery in Robbinsville not only gives you the chance to view magnificent pieces by local artisans, but you can also take home a souvenir of your time here!
- Enjoy a day out perusing the various museums here in the Great Smoky Mountains. From The Museum of the Cherokee Indian to The Franklin Gem and Mineral Museum, there is so much to discover and learn about the culture and history of the area!
Get a Little More Cozy
Winter in the Great Smoky Mountains is pretty spectacular, both inside and out! There are so many ways to stay cozy, warm, and relaxed with your loved one!
- Plan a spa date for the ultimate relaxation for two. Be sure to book in advance! Find out more about the spa options here!
- This Valentine’s Day, book a small cabin for an intimate retreat. Many options here feature decks to enjoy the mountain scenery, hot tubs, fireplaces, and plenty of privacy. You can find our cabin rental recommendations here!
Valentine’s Day will be here before you know it! Start planning your romantic Smoky Mountain getaway today!