With winter views that go on for miles, cozy cabin rentals, and plenty of indoor activities to pass the time, winter is a beautiful time of year to visit the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina!
Sure the temperatures may be cooler, but get outside anyway! Enjoy hiking through the woods (and possibly through the snow!) to catch spectacular views of frozen waterfalls scattered throughout the area. You can also take part in outdoor excitement like skiing and snow-tubing. However, if you’re looking for a vacation that marries comfy and cozy vibes with plenty of relaxation, then there’s plenty of options available as well.
Cozy Cabins and Resorts
There are so many options for cabins and cottages to rent and hunker down in cozy, warm bliss. Some even have fireplaces and hot tubs for extra relaxation!
- Watershed Resorts: The cabins available at Watershed Resorts in Bryson City, NC, offer everything from one- and two-bedroom cozy cabins to amenities like hot tubs and fireplaces. They even offer cabins large enough to house a group of your family and friends!
- Laurel Bush Riverfront Cabins: The rustic, cozy cabins available through Laurel Bush Riverfront Cabins in Sylva, NC, sit on the Tuckasegee River, offering amazing views all year-round!
- Fire Mountain: The cabins at Fire Mountain in Highlands, NC, feature amenities to keep you warm and relaxed during your stay, including hand-laid fireplaces made of native stone and two- and four-person jacuzzi tubs!
Seasonal Indoor Activities
Outdoor adventures aren’t the only way to have fun in Western, NC, this winter! Here are a few ways you can stay warm while still enjoying everything our beautiful small towns have to offer!
- Train Excursions: This family-friendly activity in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina is open year-round. During the holidays, your kids will LOVE riding on the Polar Express!
- Shopping & Museums: At any of the shops in the Great Smoky Mountains, you can find everything from unique antiques to locally-made goods perfect to take home as souvenirs or give as gifts! Plus, there are plenty of cultural and educational experiences to be had at the local museums!
- Seasonal Drinks to Warm You Up: Sip on sensational lattes, cappuchinos, hot chocolate and more at quaint local coffee shops like Mountain Perks Espresso Bar & Cafe, Panacea Coffee Company, or Smoky Mountain Roasters!
Endless Winter Views
No matter where (or when) you stay in Western NC, the views of the mountains and valleys will be exquisite. In the winter, when snow blankets the forests and the world seems a little bigger, brighter, and quieter. Book your stay in the Great Smoky Mountains to experience this for yourself!