Train Rides in North Carolina
Mountain Landscapes by Rail: Train Rides in North Carolina
All aboard! Enjoy front row seats on a journey through inspiring mountains landscapes when you take train rides in North Carolina on Great Smoky Mountains Railroad.
This historic railroad offers daily excursions year round, on both steam and diesel trains. All trips depart from the depot in Bryson City, NC, a charming mountain town near Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Fontana Lake, Nantahala National Forest, the Nantahala River and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Train lovers, history buffs and anyone who loves a good view will enjoy train rides in North Carolina Great Smoky Mountains. Which excursion will you choose:
- Nantahala Gorge Excursion: Ride along the beautiful Nantahala River through the Nantahala Gorge. Go over the historic Trellis Bridge and over Fontana lake on the way. Arrive at the Nantahala Outdoor Center where you can sightsee, dine or go shopping.
- Tuckasegee River Excursion: Relaxing train rides in North Carolina countryside, with an opportunity for shopping, dining and fun in the delightful town of Dillsboro.
Kids Will Love Special Event Train Rides in North Carolina
Make your kids or grandkids first train ride extra special by booking an excursion that includes some of their favorite characters! Great Smoky Mountains Railroad hosts special event theme excursions every season that are surely the most magical train rides in North Carolina. Past and present Special Events include Dinosaur Train™, The Polar Express, and Peanuts™ themed excursions.
The History of Train Rides in North Carolina
Trains and train culture in North Carolina dates back to the late 1800's when mountaineers road the rails. Today, when you take train rides in North Carolina you are helping to preserve the colorful history of these revolutionary machines. Great Smoky Mountain Railroad is a member of the American Heritage Railways family whose mission is to preserve history. For a special treat, take train rides in North Carolina on one of GSMR's fully restored, 1940's era first class coaches. Great care and attention has been taken to authentically restore and preserve these amazing pieces of history.
Enjoy Train Rides in North Carolina and so Much More!
When you come to enjoy train rides in North Carolina, make sure you plan enough time to enjoy some of the other fun activities and attractions our region is known for: hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, tubing, whitewater rafting, exploring Great Smoky Mountains National Park, riding the Blue Ridge Parkway and so much more.
Smoky Mountain Host offers a free planning guide that is informative, free and will give you great ideas for things to do in our region. Order a print copy or call 1-800-432-4678 to request one today.
Smoky Mountain Travel
- Smoky Mountain Vacation Rentals
- Hiking in North Carolina
- Activities in North Carolina
- Smoky Mountain Attractions
- Kayaking in North Carolina
- NC Fly Fishing
- Best Mountain Biking
- Mountain Biking in North Carolina
- Rafting in the Smoky Mountains
- Harrah's in Cherokee
- Where to Stay in the Smoky Mountains
- North Carolina Mountain Biking
- Rafting the Nantahala
- Best Motorcycle Rides
- Best Mountain Biking Trails
- Whitewater Rafting in North Carolina
- Best Places in North Carolina
- What to do in the Smoky Mountains
- Kayaking Locations
- Cycling North Carolina
- Gem Mining in North Carolina
- Cherokee Fishing
- Hiking Vacations
- Train Rides
- Smoky Mountain Travel
- Smoky Mountain Fishing
- Smoky Mountain Fly Fishing
- Fly Fishing Rivers
- Kayaking in NC
- Smoky Mountain Rafting