Fishing in the Smoky Mountains
Fishing in the Smoky Mountains provides diverse opportunities for anglers of all ages and experience levels. Explore lakes, creeks, and rivers nationally recognized for a wide variety of trout. Visit some of the country’s premiere locations for bait and fly fishing. Nonresident and resident permits can be purchased for fishing in the Smoky Mountains at several locations and online. Special tribal fishing permits can also be acquired if you want to visit the rivers, streams, and ponds on the Cherokee Indian Reservation. Annual events that celebrate the tradition of fishing in the Smoky Mountains can also be found throughout the year. Families can even enjoy fishing competitions and classes. Plan the ultimate fishing trip to WNC today.
Trail's Delayed Harvest Waters to Receive Nearly 20,000 Trout
The delayed harvest section of the Tuckasegee River - a main stop on the Western North Carolina Fly Fishing Trail - will be stocked with 19,600 trout this fall.
The stocking will be conducted by the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission in two segments: 9,800 trout the first week of October, and 9,800 trout the first week of November.
Brook and rainbow trout will account for 80 percent of the fish placed in the river, with brown trout making up the remaining 20 percent.
Anglers are allowed to fish the delayed harvest section of the Tuckasegee River year round. However, fish caught between Oct. 1 and the first Saturday in June must be released immediately. The delayed harvest section of the Tuck runs from the N.C. Hwy 107 bridge in the Lovesfield community to Dillsboro.
"Your catch percentage goes up greatly when the delayed harvest waters of the Tuck are stocked in October and November," said Alex Bell, a fly fishing guide in Sylva. "This provides a great chance to accomplish the 'Tuckasegee Slam' which is catching a brook, rainbow and brown all in the same day."
Another good place to fish the Trail this fall is Scott Creek. Scott Creek flows through Sylva and Dillsboro and received 3,000 brook, rainbow and brown trout in July and August.
Both Scott Creek and the delayed harvest section of the Tuckasegee River were recently designated as Mountain Heritage Trout Waters by the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission.
The program encourages trout fishing as a heritage tourism activity and allows anglers to fish the waters by purchasing a three-day license for just $5. Those who already have a valid N.C. fishing license and trout privilege license do not need to purchase the three-day license.
For info on the Fly Fishing Trail, call (800) 962-1911, or go to: www.FlyFishingTrail.com.